Krueger-FAFSA-Questions-smWhat should I (the student) do if my family has unusual circumstances that aren’t mentioned in the application?

If you or your family has unusual circumstances (such as loss of employment, loss of benefits, death, or divorce), complete the FAFSA to the extent that you can and submit it as instructed. Then talk to the financial aid administrator (FAA) at the school you plan to attend. If your family’s circumstances have changed from the tax year 2012, the FAA may decide on a case-by-case basis to adjust data elements used to calculate your EFC. Any adjustment the FAA makes must relate only to your individual circumstances and not to any conditions that exist for a whole class of students. The FAA’s decision is final and cannot be appealed to the ED

I’m going to get married this summer. How do I answer the question that asks if I am married?

You must answer Question 46 based on your marital status on the day you complete and sign your FAFSA. Answer “Yes” if you are married on the day you complete and sign your FAFSA, otherwise, answer “No.” When you apply in a subsequent year and remain married, you will file as a married student at that time. Before completing the FAFSA, contact your financial aid office, they may have some additional guidance.

If my parents are divorced, whose information do I need?

Report the information of the parent with whom you lived the most during the 12 months preceding the date you completed the FAFSA. It does not make a difference which parent claims you as a dependent for tax purposes. If you did not live with either parent or lived equally with each parent, the parental information must be provided for the parent from whom you received the most financial support during the preceding 12 months or the parent from whom you received the most support the last time support was given.

I’ll be filing a tax return this year but I probably won’t get around to it until April. How should I answer the financial questions? Should I wait to fill out this form after I’ve filed my tax return?

Don’t wait until April. Many schools award aid on a first-come, first-served basis. Also, you may not be eligible for state aid if you wait until April to submit your FAFSA. Many state aid deadlines are early in the calendar year.

Where can I go to get assistance if I have questions while I am completing the FAFSA?

Go to FAFSA on the Web at and select the “Help” icon at the top of any page of the application. The “Help” page lists all of the available options for getting additional assistance, including a live help option that is available through a secure online chat session with one of our customer service representatives. You can also call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users can call 1-800-730-8913.